His Eminence Archbishop Angaelos is the first Coptic Orthodox Archbishop of London, having served as General Bishop of the Coptic Orthodox Church in the United Kingdom since 1999. His Eminence was delegated by His Holiness Pope Tawadros II, Pope of Alexandria and Patriarch of the See of Saint Mark, to represent the Church in the United Kingdom at the ecumenical and official level as Papal Legate, and thus conferred him with the ecclesial title of Archbishop of London.
Archbishop Angaelos is widely recognised for his extensive advocacy work, and as a result he was conferred the honour of Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire by Her Majesty The Queen for ‘Services to International Religious Freedom.’ He later founded and chairs Refcemi, the Coptic Orthodox Church Office for Advocacy and Public Policy, the first of its kind worldwide.
Archbishop Angaelos has been conferred the Lambeth Cross for Ecumenism by the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Coventry Cross of Nails for Reconciliation. Among other roles, His Eminence is President of Bible Society, Co-founder and Co-chair of the Lausanne-Orthodox Initiative, and the Orthodox President of Churches Together in England (CTE).
With a pastoral ministry spanning more than two decades, Archbishop Angaelos specialises in youth ministry and travels around the world to speak at youth conferences and conventions.
Archbishop Angaelos was born in Egypt and emigrated to Australia in his early childhood with his family. After obtaining his degree in Political Science, Philosophy and Sociology, he continued on to postgraduate studies in law while working in the same field. In 1990 he returned to Egypt to the Monastery of St Bishoy in Wadi-El-Natroun where he was consecrated a monk by the late Pope Shenouda III and served as his private secretary until 1995 when he was delegated to serve in the United Kingdom. He was proclaimed Bishop of the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of London on 11 November 2017 in Egypt, and enthroned over the new Diocese on 18 November 2017 at the Cathedral of Saint George in England.
His Eminence is
• President of Bible Society
• President of Churches Together in England (CTE) (2017- 2021)
• Founder and Director of Refcemi (Coptic Orthodox Church Office for Advocacy and Public Policy)
• Moderator of Churches Together in Britain and Ireland (CTBI) from 2015-2021
• Chair of the Council of the Oriental Orthodox Churches in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland
• Co-chair of the Anglican-Oriental Orthodox International Commission
• Co-chair of the Anglican-Oriental Orthodox Regional Forum
• Co-founder and Co-chair of the Catholic-Oriental Orthodox Regional Forum
• Moderator of the Churches’ Inter-Religious Network for CTBI
• Ecumenical participant of the Church of England General Synod
• President of Christians Aware
• Chairman of SAT 7 International Council and Executive Board
• Member of the Central Committee of the World Council of Churches
• Member of the Coptic Delegation to the World Council of Churches
• Member of Christian Solidarity Worldwide Board of Reference
• Founder and Convener of the Asylum Advocacy Group
• Scholar-Consultant on the Christian-Muslim Forum
• Founder and Chair of Foundations for Hope (FFH)
His Eminence is Patron
• Embrace The Middle East
• Awareness Foundation
• The Ecumenical Society of the Blessed Virgin Mary
• The Apostolic Order of St Hadrian of Canterbury
• The SAT 7 Trust UK
• The Christian Enquiry Agency (CEA)